Wednesday, February 9, 2011

turning point

so i was texting a friend of mine today and the subject of how (or when) Jim and I started dating came up. while i just gave my friend a tidbit of the moment i later thought that i needed to write the whole story in my blog because i hadn't thought of that memory in a LONG time.
   So i was in Jim's office and i had just worked a proof on the black board. He was my mentor/advisor (and well, friend) then and I WAS NOT TAKING ANY CLASS OF HIS AT THIS TIME.  I was lounging on that big sofa he had in his office looking at my proof trying to memorize it. I had a copy of 'the age of reason' by Sartre next to my stuff.  He had commented on it and we started talking nonchalantly about it. I was concentrating more on the black board. then i told him that i wouldn't mind sleeping with Mathieu (from the book) i don't know why i said this, well, i do but that is another post. and then jim says that he wouldn't mind giving Lola a go (can't remember the exact word he used). 
    I was totally shocked he said this, i was expecting a laugh to brush the subject off or a request to leave his office after my comment, i wasn't expecting an equal pass. Then he asked me to go with him to a basketball game later in the week. i said okay and i wrote the info down in my little pocket book. 
   and that was it. not as exciting as one would expect a prof./student relationship to start out, but it's what i got.
   as a side note, that little piece of paper from my pocket book i mentioned above i still have. My friend andrew had it because i had written some info on the back of it for him, he later returned the paper to me after jim and i were married. and the black board still had my proof on it until jim was forced to retire. little pieces of the sides and bottom had been erased so other students could work out some problems, but jim never let anyone erase it (and it was long. took up the whole board). i kept on telling him to take it down but he never did.
this goofy picture is of jim 6 years before i knew him.
 it has always been my favorite.

  

No comments:

Post a Comment