Sunday, December 26, 2010

what remains.

4 months ago today i lost you. 4 months ago today i lost myself. i go through these motions of life but there is no life in them. And it wasn't your death itself that brought me here, it was the journey to your death that has done it.
i can't get it out of my mind; watching you slip away. i felt at the time that i was trying to grab on to you and you were falling through my fingers like sand. i remember holding you as we lay down in your bed at the facility, it was a week before you died. you slept for hours and i held you as we both were soaked in your urine what ever else comes out in the messy business of death. you were so peaceful i couldn't bare to move you. that is all i could do for you at that point, try to give you peace. and i succeeded many times before you died. in your lonely confused tortured mind all i could do was bring you a sense of peace.
will i ever love again like i did with you...? i doubt it. i will not willingly do this again to myself. how can i? what remains of me to even do that?
 

3 comments:

  1. Hi sweetie, I'm so sorry for your loss. I'm sorry I didn't sooner; somehow your comment escaped me between reading on my phone and following up. I'm all subscribed now. Did you know my hubby was born in 1946? We were 20 years apart.
    Anyway, I'm really sorry. Also? Your reactions that we can check off for each post? Very clever.
    LOVE.
    Supa

    ReplyDelete
  2. Supa-I have never met another cross-generational widow with a young child before... i get a lot of "...oh! but he was old. ...so weren't you kind of expecting it?" yeah, like tell that to my small kids. we met in college, he was a math prof and i was a math major- you can fill in the rest i'm sure.

    I went to camp widow shortly before my husband died. He was expected to live another 7 years or so at the time, but something in me told me that i needed the information it had to offer soon. that is how i found out about your blog. and a lot of other ones, but yours and Healing Art really made me think.
    best.
    gayle

    ReplyDelete
  3. Crap, you were at Camp and I didn't say hi to you... or did I? I SUCK.
    I'm sorry.
    Anticipatory grief is a horrible animal, but what strength you have that called you to seek out others. I met one widow before Gavin died... she was wonderful... it gave me some sense I guess that I could survive.
    BLEH. I'm so sorry for January....

    ReplyDelete